Fine set-of-six sterling silver tots, or shot glasses. The Arts & Crafts tyg tri- handle-form shots are each fully hallmarked: James Wakely & Frank Clarke Wheeler, London 1904. Beautifully presented in original, fitted, satin- and velvet-lined case bearing retailer stamp for Curtis & Horspool Jewellers of Leicester, by Appointment to H.M. the King. 2" H., 1 3/8" W., 2" W. to handles each
Vienna Secession basket designed by architect Hans Ofner (1880-1939) and made in the Argentor workshop in Austria circa 1905. Crystal liner rests within rounded frame displaying gitterwerk elements upon its circumference as well as its open handle. Ofner studied with Josef Hoffmann at the Kunstgewerbescule. He went on to create Vienna Secession interiors along with fine metalwork, furniture and jewelry. An Ofner gitterwerk vase by Argentor is in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art, New York. 7 1/2" H., 5 1/2" W.
Art Nouveau silvered pewter letter opener made by the well-known WMF (Wurttembergische Metallwarenfabrik) workshop in Germany circa 1910. A detailed dog's head among Art Nouveau foliates is upon the top of the opener's blade. 8" L.
Stylized Secession florals and blossoms are in relief upon the top as well as sides of the oval snuff box. A vacant oval medallion has delicate beaded edging. Gilded interior. 800 Fine Silver mark along with maker stamp, Germany circa 1905. 1 1/2" W., 2" L. 5/8" H.
Tudric pewter butter dish designed by the famous Archibald Knox for Liberty & Co. circa 1902-05. The open tri-handle form, with its stylized honesty leaves in relief, has its original Powell glass liner. Impressed marks beneath with model number 0162 Tudric. An example pictured in "Archibald Knox," by Stephen A. Martin, page 208. 5 5/8" W., 1 1/2" H.
Most unusual example of a fine Art Nouveau silver card case. Rambling vines along with daffodils in high relief are upon the cover of the case. The case, with its spring mechanism, opens to reveal a beautifully fitted interior of moire silk. Each side has a gusset pocket to hold a card. The form accommodates modern- day-size business cards. Impressed marks for 800 fine silver along with maker stamp: Germany circa 1900. 2 5/8" W., 4" L.
A beautifully interpreted pair of Vienna Secession-design candlesticks made by WMF (Wurttembergische Metallwarenfabrik) in Germany circa 1910. Clearly a Josef Hoffmann influence with lobed and beaded elements. Firm's marks beneath each. 5 7/8" H., 4 1/8" W.
Whimsical figural cigar cutter in the form of a monkey designed by Igantius Taschner, Germany (1871-1913), known for his animal sculptures. Lift the steel monkey's tail, insert cigar and guillotine design drops tip into hammered copper bowl beneath. A fine example for the collector of cigar cutters; circa 1905. 7" W., 4 1/4" H., 4 5/8" H. (tail extended)
A pair of basket-form sterling silver salt cellars have foliates in relief. Each salt, with its cobalt-blue liner, is accompanied by its own spoon. All fully hallmarked: Joseph Gloster, Birmingham 1905. 2 1/4" W., 1 1/4" H' 2 1/4" L. spoons
Lovely Anglo-Indian sterling silver frame with a curved design. The frame has detail of elephants among trees in high relief. Wooden easel back. Silver of this genre was made in the Lucknow region on India, early 1900's. 5" W., 6 1/2" H.; 3 1/4" W., 4 3/4" H. photo
Elegant, large, sterling silver magnifier. The long handle has a hand-chased spiral-foliate pattern in relief. Hallmarks: Hilliard & Thomason, Birmingham 1899. 4" W., 10 1/4" L.
Beautiful antique sterling silver magnifier with a lovely swirl grip handle. Mount upon the glass ring has a complementing pattern in relief as well as bead-edge detail. Hallmarks: Adie & Lovekin, Birmingham 1900. 3" W., 7" L.
Beautiful and bold Art Nouveau sterling silver frame. Undulating borders surround a hammered surface on the large form. Original lush velvet easel back. Hallmarks: Henry Matthews, Birmingham 1905. 8 1/2" W., 11 1/2" H., 5 7/8" W., 8 1/8" H. photo
Completely hammered wine bottle stand. The Vienna Secession-era stand was made in the Frantisek Bibus, known as Franz, workshop in Bohemia (Czechoslovakia) circa 1910. 2 1/4" H., 3 1/2" W.
Fine Gorham sterling silver whisky flask. The glass form is covered in basket-weave silver and is fitted with a convenient, removable drinking cup, gilded within. Top cap has a bayonet hinge and turns to lock or unlock. Marked with the firm's "caliper" date symbol for 1908 along with the famous Rhode Island silver workshop's hallmarks. 2 5/8" W., 5 1/4" H.
Tiffany patinated bronze Zodiac-pattern bookends. The pair depicts the twelve signs of the zodiac in relief. Impressed marks upon each. Tiffany Studios, New York 1091. Circa 1905. A similar pair illustrated in "Tiffany Desk Sets," by Holland, page 36. 6" H., 5" W.
Silver vodka cup engraved with foliate and architectural designs. Assay mark for Anatoly Appollonovich Artsybashev, Moscow 1889. Light gilding within. 2" H.
Wonderful marabou figural cigar cutter. Designed by Ignatius Taschner, Germany (1871-1913), known for his animal sculptures. The hammered brass bird has a guillotine-design steel beak. Raise beak, insert cigar into the eye, drop beak to cut, and allow cigar tip to fall into waiting copper bowl beneath. Clever and whimsical. Germany circa 1905. 4 3/4" W., 5 3/4" H., 9" H. (beak extended)
WMF (Wurttembergische Metallwarenfabrik) Art Nouveau basket with florals and berries in relief upon its rising sides. A figural winged maiden fashioned as the handle. Designed by Albert Mayer, circa 1907. Firm's marks beneath. 6 3/4" W., 3 1/2" H.
Handsome classic design English sterling silver flask. The practical, discreet size has one curved side to comfortably fit a hip or breast pocket. Bayonet feature on its top, locking cap. Hallmarks: Charles S. Green, Birmingham 1918. 3 1/8" W., 4 1/4" H.
Lovely, romanticized Art Nouveau wine bottle stand from the famous WMF (Wurttembergische Metallwarenfabrik) workshop in Germany, circa 1907. Flowing florals rise above a series of six fish as they swim through wave-like Art Nouveau tendrils. Workshop marks beneath. 3" H., 4 3/4" W.
Nice quality antique sterling silver flask in desirable, discreet size. Drinking cup removes from bottom for convenience and cap has bayonet-hinge design. Cup is gilded within. Hallmarks: James Dixon & Sons, Sheffield 1895. 2 1/4" W., 3 3/4" H.
Sweet Art Nouveau snuff, or pill box with crisply details florals. The abundant designs are in relief upon both sides of the rounded form. Gilded within. Stamped boar mark for 800 fine silver as well as maker mark. France circa 1900. 1 5/8" W.
Lovely Art Nouveau silver wine bottle stand. Reticulated, rambling florals adorn the elegant form. Hallmarks for the Wilhelm Binder workshop of Schwabisch Gmund, Germany, circa 1900. Examples of the Binder workshop are represented in the Brohan Museum in Berlin. 2 3/4" H., 4 3/8" W.
Sterling silver English snuff box with a repousse design upon the oval form's top as well as sides. The box has chased accents and crimped-edge detail. Gilded within. Hallmarks: Deakin & Francis, Birmingham 1899. 3/4" H., 1 1/4" W., 3" L.
Lovely sterling silver Aesthetic-era snuff box by Gorham. The Japanesque engraved design upon its top has bamboo along with ferns and fronds. Gilded within with Gorham marks and date letter for year 1880. This genre of design by the famous Rhode Island silver workshop is highly collected. 5/8" H., 2 1/8" W., 3 3/8" L.
Lovely Victorian sterling silver box with floral and scroll repousse decoration upon the top as well as sides. The elegant box is further enhanced with chasing and crimp-edge detail. Hallmarks: George Nathan & Ridley Hayes, Chester 1895. 3/4" H., 1 3/4" W., 3 7/8" L.
Rare sterling silver cocktail jigger presented to Herbert Hoover. Dedicated: Herbert Hoover from Elise Cobb Wilson, Issoudun, April 16-1919. Hoover, our 31st president, held office during Prohibition 1929-33. Prior to his position in office, he was part of the delegation to the Versailles Peace Conference in 1919. Issoudun was a U.S. flight training facility in France at that time. Elsie Cobb Wilson, an influential, highly regarded interior designer with a studio in Washington, DC, was in Hoover's circle. Made by Towle silversmiths in Massachusetts. 2" H.
Interlacing Art Nouveau tendrils and flowers adorn the brass jug, or pitcher. A flaring pouring lip and rivet-applied curving handle complete the bold form. Made in the Thomas Sankey & Sons workshop in England circa 1905. 6" W., 11" H.
Sterling silver tray has a golf club perched upon its top. Bottom of the tray is glass. Hallmarks for Birmingham 1905. 1 1/8" H., 2 7/8" W.
Antique silver niello Russian snuff box with scrolling niello vines. Date stamp for Moscow 1886 along with 84 mark for 875 silver purity. Maker GK, Gustav Gustavovich Klingert, who was awarded international medals in European cities including London, Paris and Antqerp in 1880's-1890's. Assay master Viktor Vasilyevich Savinsky. 2 1/4" W., 3 1/4" L.
Elegant Victorian, English tall wine bottle coaster stand. The high-hat form has pierced design along with garlands and lion masks in relief. The flaring top is cast with grapes and scrolls. The pattern is by Barker Ellis of Birmingham circa 1880. 4 3/8" H., 7 1/4" W.
Charming narrative bronze. A young boy in a waistcoat and cap lights a lantern. He carries a jug and flask. Patina has golden highlights. Figure stands upon a variegated marble base. Germany circa 1900. 4 1/2" H.
Lovely gilded bronze quatrefoil-form jewel box. Bead-edge top has a detailed pattern. Applied florals in relief, along with a silvered and gilded figure group, further enhance the cover. Sides have acanthus designs. Velvet lined. France circa 1900. 1 1/2" H., 2 3/4" W., 4 1/4" L.
Sweet Vienna bronze cocker spaniel cast with nice crisp detail. Fur is cold-painted in brown and golden-tan tones. Lovely expression! Vienna, circa 1910. 3 1/2" L., 2 1/8" H.
Magnificent bottle stand by the WMF (Wurttembergische Metallwarenfabrik) workshop. Three nude sea sirens clasp hands as they encircle the stand among choppy rising waves. A tripod support of lily pads and flowers upholds the stand with pendant grapes festooning above. Workshop marks beneath. Germany circa 1907. 4 1/4" H., 5 1/8" W.